Category: OCT (Occipito Cervical Thoracic)
The MOUNTAINEER® OCT Spinal System is the DePuy Synthes Spine occipito-cervico-thoracic spinal system. With the MOUNTAINEER OCT Spinal System, surgeons can choose a fusion solution that solves the unique problems they face. The MOUNTAINEER OCT Spinal System has been designed to be both simple and versatile and offers seamless junctional connections, a breadth of fixation options, and optimal control.
This system is also compatible with our EXPEDIUM® Spine System and Cobalt-Chromium Alloy Rods that offer the strength needed for deformity correction.
The SUMMIT® SI OCT Spinal Fixation System and MOUNTAINEER® OCT Spinal System are intended to
provide immobilization and stabilization of spinal segments as an adjunct to fusion for the following acute
and chronic instabilities of the craniocervical junction, the cervical spine (C1 to C7) and the thoracic spine
• traumatic spinal fractures and/or traumatic dislocations;
• instability or deformity;
• failed previous fusions (e.g. pseudarthrosis);
• tumors involving the cervical/thoracic spine;
• and degenerative disease, including intractable radiculopathy and/or myelopathy, neck and/or
arm pain of discogenic origin as confirmed by radiographic studies, and
• degenerative disease of the facets with instability.
The SUMMIT and MOUNTAINEER Systems are also intended to restore the integrity of the spinal column
even in the absence of fusion for a limited time period in patients with advanced stage tumors involving
the cervical spine in whom life expectancy is of insufficient duration to permit achievement of fusion.
The SONGER® Wire/Cable System to be used with the SUMMIT and MOUNTAINEER Systems allows for
wire/cable attachment to the posterior cervical spine.
The SUMMIT and MOUNTAINEER Systems can also be linked to the ISOLA®, MONARCH®, MOSS®
MIAMI, VIPER® and EXPEDIUM® Spine Systems using the dual wedding band and axial connectors, and
via dual diameter rods.
• Active systemic infection or an infection localized to the site of the proposed implantation.
• Severe osteoporosis may prevent adequate fixation of screws and thus preclude the use of this or
any other spinal instrumentation system.
• Patients who have been shown to be safely and predictably treated without internal fixation.
• Open wounds.
• Relative contraindications include any entity or condition that totally precludes the possibility of fusion (e.g., cancer, kidney dialysis or osteopenia), obesity, certain degenerative diseases, and foreign body sensitivity.
|60 degree cone of angulation with additional 15 degree Favored Angle bias||Allows for easier screw fixation in difficult anatomy|
TOP NOTCH® Feature
|Provides more control of the screw head for easier rod placement|
|Square Thread||Reduces cross threading and head splay|
|Tapered form tapping tip||Allows easier screw insertion with strong bone purchase|
Favored Angle Screw (3.5 and 4.0mm shank)
Medial/Lateral Favored Angle Screw (3.5, 4.0, 4.35mm shank)
Provides options for many anatomical situations
Provides options for multiple screw techniques
|Long Shank Favored Angle Screw (3.5 and 4.0mm shank)||Provides protection of delicate structures with 10mm smooth surface|
|Head-to-Head Cross Connector||Offers construct stability where rod-to-rod connectors will not work|
|Adjustable Wedding Band (3.5-4.75, 5.5, 6.35mm)||Allows easier connection to Thoracic-Lumbar systems with less rod contouring|
|Adjustable OC Rod||Allows easier connection across the Occipito-Cervico junction with less contouring and the ability to revisit head position|
|Address many anatomical situations|
|Single plate option with three midline fixation points||Increases rigidity and provides greater stability due to midline fixation in the area of greatest bone thickness|
|Inner set screw||Provides easier fixation of the rod to the plate while providing additional strength|
|Add-on Lateral Washer offering two additional points of fixation laterally||Provides additional lateral points of fixation on the occiput|