Division: Shoulder Reconstruction
Category: Shoulder Reconstruction
Introducing the GLOBAL® UNITE® Platform Shoulder System, the Next-Generation Platform Shoulder System, offering surgeons Simplicity, Outcomes-Based Design, and Principled Adaptability.
The GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder System offers surgeons Simplicity with a streamlined shoulder solution for the treatment of Anatomic, Reverse, and Fracture shoulder indications, utilizing advanced instrumentation to provide surgical process efficiency.
The GLOBAL Shoulder principles from DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction* represent the foundation of the GLOBAL UNITE System and provide surgeons a product featuring Outcomes-Based Design. The GLOBAL® ADVANTAGE® System demonstrating 98.4% Survivorship at 8 Years and the GLOBAL® Anchor Peg Glenoid System showing 100% Survivorship at 34 Months reveal a philosophy supported by clinical success.1, 2
The Fracture portion of the GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder System offers modular proximal bodies that allow the surgeon to restore proper joint height and anatomic alignment utilizing a streamlined surgical procedure. Additional modularity, offered in the suture collar allows for anatomic reconstruction of the tuberosities.
If conversion from an Anatomic or Fracture to a Reverse Shoulder is needed, the system offers the surgeon Principled Adaptability through the ability to retain a well-fixed distal stem and replace the epiphyseal components at the proper height and version to optimize deltoidfunction.
The GLOBAL UNITE System truly is the Next-Generation Platform Shoulder System.
1. Wirth, M, Tapscott R., et al, “Treatment of Glenohumeral Arthritis with a Hemiarthroplasty: A minimum five-year follow-up outcome study.” J. Bone Joint Surg. AM. 88:964-973, 2006. 79, 1997
2. Groh, GI. Survival and Radiographic Analysis of a Glenoid Component with a Cementless Fluted Central Peg. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2010;19(8) 1265-1268
© DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction, a division of DOI 2014. All rights reserved.
*DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction is a division of DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
Total shoulder or hemi-shoulder replacement is indicated for:
1. A severely painful and/or disabled joint resulting from osteoarthritis, traumatic arthritis or
2. Fracture-dislocations of the proximal humerus where the articular surface is severely
comminuted, separated from its blood supply or where the surgeon’s experience
indicates that alternative methods of treatment are unsatisfactory;
3. Other difficult clinical problems where shoulder arthrodesis or resection arthroplasty are not acceptable (e.g., revision of a failed primary component).
Hemi-shoulder replacement is also indicated for:
1. Ununited humeral head fractures;
2. Avascular necrosis of the humeral head;
3. Deformity and/or limited motion.
When used in a total shoulder replacement, the GLOBAL UNITE System Implants are to be used with DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction’s glenoids. The glenoids are for cemented use only.
When well-fixed, the GLOBAL UNITE System Humeral Stems, in conjunction with existing
DELTA XTENDTM Epiphyseal Components, are also indicated for conversion to a reverse, in
treatment of a grossly deficient rotator cuff joint with severe arthropathy or a previously
failed joint replacement with a grossly deficient rotator cuff joint. The patient’s joint must be
anatomically and structurally suited to receive the selected implant(s), and a functional
deltoid muscle is necessary. The DELTA XTEND System Metaglene is HA-coated and is
intended for uncemented use with the addition of screws for fixation. The DELTA XTEND
System Epiphyseal Components are HA-coated and are intended for uncemented use.
WARNING: This product has labeling limitations. See package insert for complete information.
GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder System
Features and Benefits
Simplicity • The GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder System offers surgeons Simplicity through a
streamlined shoulder solution for the treatment of Anatomic, Reverse, and Fracture
shoulder indications, utilizing advanced instrumentation to provide surgical process
• Instrumentation is designed to offer surgical process efficiency with innovative
instrumentation, such as the brosteotome
Outcomes-Based Design • The GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder System has been designed on the GLOBAL
Shoulder philosophy which has demonstrated clinical success on both the humerus
and the glenoid
1. GLOBAL ADVANTAGE System - 98.4% Survivorship at 8 Years1
2. GLOBAL Anchor Peg Glenoid System - 100% Survivorship at 34 Months2
Principled Adaptability • The GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder System provides conversion at the height of a primary
DELTA XTEND Reverse Shoulder and version correction of up to 30° to optimize
patient range of motion requirements
1. “Stack-on” adapters can overstretch the deltoid which can lead to complications and
2. Version adjustability allows the surgeon to place the epiphysis in the version that suits the
patient’s range of motion requirements5
Conversion to Reverse Total Shoulder
Modular Suture Collars
1. Acts as a mechanical buttress and reduces the chance of superior migration of the tuberosities
2. The collars are size specific to the humeral head and reduces the chance of inward collapse of the tuberosities towards the stem
|Conversion to Reverse Total Shoulder||
1. Wirth, M, Tapscott R., et al, “Treatment of Glenohumeral Arthritis with a Hemiarthroplasty: A minimum five-year follow-up outcome study.” J. Bone Joint Surg. AM. 88:964-973, 2006. 79, 1997.
2. Groh, GI. Survival and Radiographic Analysis of a Glenoid Component with a Cementless Fluted Central Peg. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2010;19(8) 1265-1268.
3. Whatley A, Fowler L, Warner J.P. “Postoperative rupture of the anterolateral deltoid muscle following reverse total shoulder arthroplasty in patients who have undergone open rotator cuff repair”. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2011; 20, 114-122.
4. Wiater, B.P., et al. “The evaluation of the failed shoulder arthroplasty”. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2014; 1-14.
5. Gulotta, L, et al. “Humeral component retroversion in reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a biomechanical study”. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, 2012;21(1) 1121-1127.
All medical devices have associated risks. Please refer to the package insert and other labeling for a complete list of indications, contraindications, precautions and warnings. For further information on DePuy Synthes Products, please contact your local DePuy Synthes Representative.