The Anterior Approach as described by Dr. Joel Matta, utilizes a tissue sparing philosophy providing surgeons the opportunity to treat patients with the potential for faster recovery, reduced risk of dislocation, fewer postoperative restrictions and less pain compared to other common approaches.1
|Potential for Improved Outcomes and Increased Patient Satisfaction||The Anterior Approach can provide improved outcomes and increased patient satisfaction in relation to fewer post-operative restrictions1, 2, faster recovery1, 2, 3, less pain2, 3, and reduced risk of dislocation4 when compared to other common approaches.|
|Reduced Cost||The Anterior Approach can provide cost efficiencies with lower dislocation rates and shorter hospital stays4, 5 when compared to other common approaches.|
|Reproducible Technique||With twenty years of anterior approach surgical experience, pioneer Dr. Joel Matta teaches a reproducible technique with a range of implants and instrumentation.|
|World-Class Education Opportunities||DePuy Synthes Companies offer Anterior Approach specific THA courses including peer-to-peer training with hands-on cadaveric labs, didactic lectures, and interactive discussions. Additional support materials are available to assist participants throughout the entire learning process including a standardized surgical technique, clinical papers, filmed surgeries, OR visitations, and field specialist support.|
1. Bourne MH, Mariani EM. “A Comparison Between Direct Anterior Surgery of the Hip (DASH) and Anterolateral (AL) Surgical Approaches to Total Hip Arthroplasty: Post-operative Outcomes. “ Poster Presentation #014, AAOS , New Orleans, LA, March 9-13, 2010.
2. Barrett WP, et al, Prospective Randomized Study of Direct Anterior vs Postero-Lateral Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty, The Journal of Arthroplasty (2013)
3. Vail TP, Marinani EM, Bourne MH, Berger RA, Meneghini RM. Approaches in primary total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. August 2009;91(5):10–12.
4. Higgins BT, Barlow DR, Heagerty NE, Lin TJ. Anterior vs. Posterior Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty, a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis, The Journal of Arthroplasty (2015); 419-434.
5. Petis SM, Howard JL, Lanting BA, Marsh JD, Vasarhelyi EM. In-Hospital Cost Analysis of Total Hip Arthroplasty: Does Surgical Approach Matter?, The Journal of Arthroplasty (2015); 53-58.
Please refer to the package insert for a complete list of indications, contraindications, precautions and warnings.
For further information on DePuy Synthes products, please contact your local DePuy Synthes representative.