Enables Surgeons to Anatomically Treat Proximal Humeral Fractures and Easily Convert to a Reverse Total Shoulder without Compromising Recognized Biomechanical Principles
WARSAW, IN – (February 22, 2013) – DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction, a global leader in shoulder replacement, is announcing immediate worldwide availability of the GLOBAL® UNITE® Platform Shoulder Arthroplasty System.
GLOBAL UNITE is a modular system that allows 72 different sizing configurations to better address the need of the patient. A unique suture collar allows secure anatomic reconstruction of the tuberosities and helps return the shoulder to a natural anatomical position. The system also offers the option to convert from a fracture system to a reverse total shoulder without compromising recognized biomechanical principles while maintaining a well-fixed humeral stem.
The GLOBAL UNITE System, which received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is indicated for press-fit or cemented fixation and offers the only modular system to provide a suture collar, which helps with anatomic reconstruction.
This next-generation platform shoulder arthroplasty system offers:
- Modular proximal bodies available in four sizes and three heights to promote anatomic restoration of humeral head height and tuberosity placement in a press-fit application
- Modular suture collar that allows additional suture fixation and anatomic reconstruction of the tuberosities
- Humeral heads that are available in sizes 40-56mm in both standard and eccentric configurations
- Option to convert to the DELTA XTENDTM Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty System without the use of a stack on adaptor, which may compromise biomechanics
- Similar stem geometry to the clinically successful DELTA XTEND
- Revision without removal of a well-fixed humeral stem
“Shoulder pathology is exceptionally varied, and with the GLOBAL UNITE System surgeons have a comprehensive and fully interchangeable system that affords flexibility and versatility designed to address patients’ needs,” said Joseph Iannotti, M.D., Ph.D., Chairman, Orthopaedic and Rheumatologic Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. “My personal experience with the GLOBAL UNITE System has been very positive. Having a system where the implant is easily convertible gives you confidence that you can restore your patient’s shoulder to a natural anatomical position.”
The GLOBAL UNITE Platform Shoulder Arthroplasty System is available worldwide and is also compatible with the following DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction glenoid components:
- GLOBAL Anchor Peg Glenoi
- GLOBAL STEPTECH®, Anchor Peg Glenoid
Important Safety Information
The performance of shoulder replacements depends on age, weight, activity level and other factors. There are potential risks and recovery takes time. People with conditions limiting rehabilitation should not have this surgery. Only an orthopaedic surgeon can determine if shoulder replacement is indicated based on an individual patient's condition.
About DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction
DePuy Synthes Joint Reconstruction, a global leader in hip, knee and shoulder replacement, is part of DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson, the largest provider of orthopaedic and neurological solutions in the world.