DePuy Now Provides Surgeons with the Choice of a Pin Guide or Cutting Guide for Personalized Instrumentation
WARSAW, IN – (November 7, 2012) – DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. (DePuy), a global leader in devices for joint replacement, is announcing immediate availability of the TRUMATCH® Pin Guide for use with the SIGMA® Fixed Bearing Total Knee System.
With the new TRUMATCH Pin Guide, which received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), surgeons have the option to choose whether to utilize a pin guide or a cutting guide in their procedures. The Pin Guide is part of the TRUMATCH Personalized Solutions portfolio, a surgical instrumentation and computer software system that is designed to aid in knee implant positioning. TRUMATCH Personalized Solutions utilizes as few as two trays in the operating room (OR) and eliminates up to nine surgical steps, which can increase procedural efficiency.
The TRUMATCH Pin Guide offers surgeons:
- Intra-operative flexibility for surgeons desiring to make changes during the surgical procedure
- A smaller, lower profile jig for less invasive procedures
- An integrated alignment guide to improve ease of use
- Reusable, re-sterilizable metal guides for pin drilling
“It’s important that we continue to push forward and find more efficient tools for our practice and for our patients to address the increasing need for knee arthroplasty,” said Michael Swank, MD,* Medical Director of Research for Joint Preservation, Restoration and Reconstruction at the Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, OH. “In a recent study** I conducted on the benefits of customized patient instrumentation, I found that TRUMATCH Personalized Solutions provided my patients not only a potentially faster operation, but also a shorter hospital stay without sacrificing clinical outcome or clinical alignment. ”
TRUMATCH Personalized Solutions originally launched in 2009 and is now available in 24 countries. Benefits include:
- Reduced instrumentation – TRUMATCH Personalized Solutions utilizes as few as two trays in the OR (compared to average of 6-9 trays) and eliminates up to nine surgical steps
- Utilizes CT scans – results in improved bone imaging, less scanning time and lower costs, compared to MRI
- Delivered sterile and surgery ready – reduces OR set-up time and sterilization cost
SIGMA® Knee System
The SIGMA® Knee System, which includes fixed bearing and rotating platform options, is the leading knee system in the U.S. and has been provided for nearly 1.7 million patients. SIGMA Fixed Bearing Knees are based on the clinically proven P.F.C.® Knee. SIGMA Rotating Platform Knees allow more natural movement with less wear to the implant than traditional knee replacements. The Pin Guide is cleared for use only with the SIGMA Fixed Bearing Knee System.
Important Safety Information
The performance of knee replacements depends on age, weight, activity level and other factors. There are potential risks and recovery takes time. People with conditions limiting rehabilitation should not have this surgery. Only an orthopaedic surgeon can determine if knee replacement is indicated based on an individual patient's condition.
About DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., a global leader in hip, knee and shoulder replacement, is part of DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson, the largest provider of orthopaedic and neurological solutions in the world.
* Michael Swank, MD, is a paid consultant and designer surgeon to DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
** Clinical and efficiency findings are specific to the hospital.