Event to feature Wake Med and Wake Orthopaedics experts, Carolina Railhawks Pros and Olympic Gold Medalist Carla Overbeck
Cary, NC—(August 16, 2012) —DePuy Mitek, a Johnson & Johnson company, will sponsor a free Youth Sports Injury Prevention Clinic on Saturday, August 18th from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. at WakeMed Soccer Park. The clinic is geared to athletes ages 10 and over and is open to parents, coaches and athletes. The clinic is being hosted by Safe Kids Wake County. WakeMed and Wake Orthopaedics experts will discuss how to prevent and manage sports-related injuries in young athletes with sessions including:
- ACL and overuse injuries;
- proper stretching, warm-up and cool-down exercises;
- injury prevention practices for coaches; and
- a parent question and answer session with orthopaedic physicians.
In addition, education displays will address concussions, heart conditions and the importance of baseline EKGs, nutrition and hydration. Participants will have the opportunity to meet the pros from the Carolina RailHawks, as well as special guest, Carla Overbeck, Olympic Gold Medalist and former captain of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team. All registered participants and their families will receive free tickets and meal vouchers for the RailHawks vs. FC Edmonton soccer match following the clinic at 7:00 p.m.
“More than one in three children who play team sports are injured seriously enough to miss practices or games, and some suffer life-long consequences,” said Mark Wood, MD, medical director of Wake Orthopaedics. “At the same time, many of these injuries are preventable. Our goal is to reach coaches, parents and young athletes through this clinic and equip them with the critical information and resources needed to keep kids out of the emergency room and doctor’s office and on the playing field.”
This youth sports injury prevention clinic is one of several taking place throughout the country as part of a national education campaign sponsored by Safe Kids USA and supported by Depuy Mitek. The campaign focuses on raising awareness of critical measures to optimize health and prevent sports related injuries, including:
- Pre-Season Medical Screening: These exams can detect any underlying conditions the young athlete may have and therefore prevent a potential medical emergency.
- Safety gear: To prevent acute injuries, children playing sports should have access to and consistently use well-maintained safety equipment, such as helmets, during both practices and games.
- Proper Conditioning: To prevent acute and overuse injuries, coaches should teach young athletes proper routines for both warm-ups and cool-downs before and after practice and play. This can help prevent sports-related injuries (such as muscle tears or sprains) by stretching and releasing any muscle tension.
- Hydration: Athletes should be encouraged to drink fluids (water or sports drink) 30 minutes before the activity begins and every 15-20 minutes during activity. Coaches should establish mandatory water breaks during practice and games—don't wait for the child to tell you he/she is thirsty.
- Rest: If young athletes are very tired or in pain, coaches and parents should encourage them to rest as this valuable recovery time can help prevent acute and overuse injuries.
“DePuy Mitek is committed to youth sports safety and is pleased to work in partnership with Safe Kids Wake County and local clinical experts to support this important cause,” said Ian Lawson, Worldwide President, DePuy Mitek. “Together, we can educate the public about the rapid increase in youth sports injuries and help parents and coaches take the necessary steps to reverse the trend and keep young athletes healthy.”
For more information on sports injury prevention, visit http://www.safekids.org/sports . www.safekids.org/sports About DePuy Mitek DePuy Mitek is a leading developer and manufacturer of innovative orthopaedic sports medicine products. The Company offers minimally invasive, arthroscopic surgical solutions that address the challenges of soft tissue repair in the shoulder, knee and other joints, as well as non-surgical therapies such as ORTHOVISC® High Molecular Weight Hyaluronan. It is part of DePuy Synthes Companies, which has a rich heritage of pioneering a broad range of products and solutions across the continuum of orthopaedic and neurological care.