RAYNHAM, MA (April 13, 2012) — In recognition of Youth Sports Safety Month, DePuy Mitek, Inc., a leading orthopaedics sports medicine company, will host a www.STOPSportsInjuries.org.
According to the CDC, more than five million kids under the age of 18 suffer a sports related injury each year with approximately half of these due to overuse. “The escalation of injuries in kids, especially as they relate to overuse is alarming,” said Dr. James Andrews, past president of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) and STOP Sports Injuries Co-Campaign Chair. “Sports participation teaches kids priceless lessons about life, health and sportsmanship, but they need to be playing various sports, switching up their routines and armed with the correct information and tools to stay on the field and out of the operating room.”
The AOSSM and the STOP Sports Injuries campaign have several tips to share with parents, coaches and athletes to help prevent injuries:
- Schedule an appointment for your child to receive a pre-participation physical to determine any pre-existing conditions or injuries
- Encourage your child to properly warm up and cool down before and after an activity
- Obtain instruction on proper training and technique
- Develop skills that are age appropriate, and increase training gradually. Recent research has shown that specializing in one sport at an early age can actually be detrimental to skill development.
- Encourage your child or player to rest and take a break, and to speak up if they are in pain or think they are hurt
“DePuy Mitek is committed to youth sports safety and is sponsoring several related events across the country this year,” said Ian Lawson, Worldwide President, DePuy Mitek. “Our goal is to help educate the public about the rapid increase in youth sports injuries and the necessary steps to help reverse the trend and keep young athletes healthy.”
About DePuy Mitek, Inc.
DePuy Mitek offers minimally invasive, arthroscopic surgical solutions that address the challenges of soft tissue repair in the shoulder, knee and other joints, as well as non-surgical therapies such as ORTHOVISC® High Molecular Weight Hyaluronan. It is part of the DePuy Family of Companies, which has a rich heritage of pioneering a broad range of products and solutions across the continuum of orthopaedic and neurological care. These companies are unified under one vision – Never Stop Moving™ – to express their commitment to bring meaningful innovation, shared knowledge, and quality care to patients throughout the world.